Monday, September 8, 2008

NTUC FairPrice (Woodlands Civic Centre)

Date: Friday, 5th Sept. 2008
Time: 1:00PM











On first sight, we saw the colorful fruits/vegetables section. Same as Cold Storage. However, I had the feeling of not knowing where to start first. It appeared to me as messy and overwhelming as they had narrow walking space and low ceiling and I disliked their lightings. It’s not that the supermarket is poorly lighted, but it’s just not as appealing as compared to the Cold Storage. Perhaps, the lightings are more focused on the products in Cold Storage? And there’s more crowd compared to the crowd in Cold Storage. That means I need to squeeze with the other shoppers in the supermarket.

Talking about the crowd, what I noticed is that they are mostly from the middle income group. You know, those aunties and all. And after reading the corporate information of the NTUC FairPrice, they stated that “its founding mission to help moderate the cost of living for low income households in Singapore remains at the heart of its operations”. So, it’s true!

There are clear section headings/signs all around the supermarket as well. However, I noticed that they do not use colors to differentiate their sections. Same as Cold Storage.

They also place the smaller items at the top and the bigger items at the bottom of the shelves. Same as Cold Storage.

In NTUC, the products were not fully stocked up. So, there were a lot of empty spaces that we see which were not appealing though it also means that there were a lot of buyers in this supermarket.

The layout and the outlook of the whole supermarket gave the impression that their stuff is cheaper compared to Cold Storage. Perhaps, this has to do with the human mindset. If you see a well decorated/furnished store, what comes to your mind? “Oh my, their stuff wouldn’t be cheap I guess.” Would you still wish to enter the store? However, it also depends on the people that we see in the store as well. If there is a crowd, we’ll definitely be attracted to it. You know, Singaporeans are like that.

If you ask me to choose between Cold Storage and NTUC FairPrice, I would choose NTUC FairPrice. Why is that so? Because I feel that they ‘care’ more for customers like me. Yes, I am very cautious with my money. And I would get more benefits if I shop in NTUC FairPrice as compared to Cold Storage. There are additional services such as linkpoints, fairplus plus credit card etc. I would love that as I shop regularly in supermarkets to get my necessities and stuff.

That’s about it.

By JONG

No comments: